Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Matcha Shortbread

This is the first thing I have baked in a long time. After deciding to revisit this blog with Kimmy I decided that I needed to drag my butt back into the kitchen and bake something. Part of me has become afraid of baking. After deciding to not pursue it as a career anymore, part of me fears that if I start baking again, maybe I will regret my decision to stop professionally. Of course the other part of me says that is ridiculous. Lately I have been itching to create things again and this was a feeling that had completely stopped when I was baking as a career.



Lately my life has been all spreadsheets and Netflix so creating these Matcha Shortbread cookies was a much needed escape. I love Matcha. Its earthiness pairs well with sweet treats. And I love how it makes everything green!



When I used to work at Panera Bread I would devour their shortbread. I loooove shortbread cookies. They are so buttery and delicate. Proper shortbread should crumble and dissolve in your mouth. Like if a biscuit and a cookie had a baby I think it would be shortbread. Or maybe a scone and a cookie? Who knows.



Anyway, these cookies combine the buttery sweetness of shortbread with the earthiness of Matcha. These are a perfect afternoon snack. Or you can be like me and eat them for breakfast. They're healthy because of the tea in them, right?..



I found this recipe from here and the only thing I changed was I omitted the almond flour because I didn't have any. I also doubled the recipe. I am glad I did because the original recipe does not make as many as it says. 

Matcha Shortbread 
-makes around 20 small cookies

-Preheat your oven to 360F

14 tablespoons (200g) of unsalted butter, softened. 
12 tablespoons (100g) of powdered sugar, sifted. 

2 egg yolks

2 1/4 cups (260g) of AP Flour
4 teaspoons of Matcha Powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Cream the butter and powdered sugar together. Add the yolks one at a time and mix until well combined. 

Combine the flour, matcha and salt together in a both. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Stop mixing once a mass forms. You do not want to over mix these cookies.

Wrap cookie dough in cling wrap and roll into a log. Freeze for 40 mins or until the dough is hard.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper. If you want to roll the log in sugar like I did, now is the time. Cut the cookies to your desired width. Keep in mind that the thicker you cut them the longer they will take to bake. Bake for 12-15 mins or until edges are golden.

Let the cookies cool for 5 mins before transferring them to a cooling rack. Once they are completely cool you can dip them in chocolate like I did. Because, chocolate. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs