Sunday, September 28, 2014

Weekly Granola: Almond Hazelnut Granola

Lets talk procrastination. I'm doing it now. Instead of studying for the GRE, I have decided to update my blog. Recently while procrastinating, I  was reading an article on procrastination (I know, meta) that has made me think of procrastination in a new light. I am a heavy procrastinator. If something needs to get done, I do it, but most things I find hard to concentrate on. Yes, there are countless sources who say it is an epidemic of our time, a side effect of my generation, but I have decided to see it in a new way.


In the western world, we have grown to think of how we view time as natural. Time is unquestionable in its nature and is the foundation of perspective. But there are cultures who see/experience time differently. I have recently been reading a book that has made me question how I view the world sensuously. My boyfriend, for example, is quick to explain bodily and natural phenomena through science. While this can lead to a certain level of satisfaction and understanding, ultimately it cripples your ability to feel, or in other words, to live in the moment.




 What all this reading and thinking has made me realize is that there is a whole other world that celebrates and views life not in the confounds of productivity and explanation, but instead in the parameters of the moment. Awhile ago, I was watching T.V and the show I was watching was making fun of how weird human body's look. Think about it, we have so many holes, bones, corners, and weird shapes and functions to our body. Lately, instead of thinking of it as a funny game of chance, I have found that our bodies were designed to experience: to feel, touch, see, and smell the world around us. While these viewpoints may be seen as some natural mumbo-jumbo explanation that is at odds with the western scientific view of the world, I feel that is the most natural to how I live my life. I procrastinate. And instead of viewing it as a mental illness, it is instead a natural reaction to my curiosity that is construed as an epidemic. It is hard trying to live up to expectations, especially the ones I set for myself, but I feel that the only way to get past procrastination, is to confront it head on.


Enough of my rant. Here is some more granola. In my last post I talked about recipes for granola and how they are not essential. I use almost the same foundation for granola every time so you will find that this recipe is very similar to the last. This way leads to endless creativity. I had some hazelnut extract I hadn't used in a while as well as some almonds. I added the usual toasted coconut, chia, and ground flax. The end result was a toasted, nutty granola that was perfect on my morning oats. 


Hazelnut, Almond Granola

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups raw sliced almonds
1 cup sweetened  coconut flakes
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp hazelnut extract
3/4 cup raisins


Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Toast your coconut. Set aside.


In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds, ground flax (or seeds), maple syrup, olive oil, salt, cinnamon, and hazelnut extract. Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown and well toasted.


Transfer granola to a large bowl and add raisins, chia seeds, and toasted coconut. Toss to combine. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs