Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Weekly Granola: Pumpkin Pie Spice

In Florida, we get the short end of the fall stick. While every food blogger is posting inspiring recipes for the season, I sit here in humidity and heat wondering where all of this festivity is coming from. I don't think the season creep is helping. It seems like August ends and people are breaking out the Thanksgiving decorations.


I miss experiencing the transformation of the seasons, but living here in Florida has taught me to appreciate the small changes. Now in the mornings I notice the ground cools enough over night for a light layer of dew to settle. And my car is no longer 101 degrees when I first get into it. It's the little things.



I've really started to get into granola lately. I find myself thinking of new flavor and seed combinations to create. What I love about granola is its versatility. Sometimes I feel like following a recipe for granola is just as silly as following a recipe for whipped cream. Just throw in whatever you have, make sure it tastes good, and bake it. However, in this case a good recipe can provide a strong foundation to play off of.


If you don't have the seeds/nuts/dried fruits that I used, do not feel the need to rush out and by it. Granola provides the opportunity to use up all the miscellaneous items you have hiding in the back of your pantry. You will need oats though. Oats are a must.


Because I feel like it is the principle of the thing to not rush out and buy a pumpkin spice latte while the weather is in the 90s, I decided to make pumpkin granola. I used pumpkin pie spice flavoring in this recipe because it was what I had. However, here is a recipe for what pumpkin pie spice basically is. The original recipe calls for you to mix the un-toasted coconut in with the granola and bake everything together. However, this will inevitably lead to your coconut being done before your granola. Don't do that. Coconut burns easily. I cut out the brown sugar because the recipe was sweet enough. Granola shouldn't be a dessert. Unless you're in to that kind of thing. 

Pumpkin Pie Spice Granola

original recipe from here


Ingredients:
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1-1/2 cups raw sliced almonds
1 cup sweetened  coconut flakes

1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds (I prefer ground flax for easier digestion. Just sayin..)
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp allspice
3/4 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 

Toast your coconut. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds, ground flax (or seeds), maple syrup, olive oil, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown and well toasted.



Transfer granola to a large bowl and add raisins, chia seeds, and toasted coconut. Toss to combine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs